Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What brings a blogger out of semi-retirement?

I wasn't quite ready to acknowledge my semi-retirement, although frankly I was getting a little bored posting one shooting-fish-in-a-barrel note after another.

But this one, a poor soul on a one-woman mission to ban Harry Potter from da liberry, is just too good to pass up.
Laura Mallory of Loganville filed an appeal last week to get the best-selling book series out of the schools’ media centers. She is an evangelical Christian who has three children at J.C. Magill Elementary School.

“I think the anti-Christian bias — it’s just got to stop,” Mallory said. “And if we don’t say something, we’ll just keep getting pushed out of the schools. And I pay taxes, too, and I think that gives me a voice to speak out about this.”
I keep waiting for the tipping point, where otherwise decent people recognize that they're being had by the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter and innumerable flying-monkey wingnuts who insist that "Christianity is under ATTACK." I keep thinking, "surely these voters recognize that they are being played for fools, right?"

And then the depressing reality sets in, that this foolishness more self-perpetuating than I'm willing to credit. The more reasonable people criticize censorship attempts like this, the more Christ-like a Laura Mallory allows herself to feel. She's the real victim! She's the one being persecuted!

|